![]() |
| Wine map of Israel (Israel Wine Regions, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Health and Israel Wine Grape Council (2026)) |
My Washington Jewish Week column from September looks at Israel's new official map of wine regions. I start with three glasses of Pinot Noir from Burgundy, the Sonoma Coast and Central Otago, because the whole point of a map is that place shows up in the glass, and the new regional profiles make that case for Israel too: the Upper Golan gets 650 to 1,200 millimeters of rain a year, the Negev Highlands about 50.
I also walk through what the 85 percent rule does and does not guarantee, why naming a region on the label stays voluntary with "Israeli wine" as the lawful default, and the origin records a winery must keep if it does. The map is not finished and is not meant to be, and the winemakers I asked see it as a good first step.
Read the full column in Washington Jewish Week: Israel Finally Has a Wine Map. Now Comes the Hard Part.

No comments:
Post a Comment